The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear understanding of how we collect your personal information from you directly and from third parties, how we use it, and how we keep it secure. We are the data controller for your personal information, and we will ensure that it is used and stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1998) and Electronic Communications Regulations (2003) and, as of 25th May 2018, the EU General Data protection Regulation (EU 2016/679).
Any information you provide us helps us to deliver an improved, personalised and smoother ticket buying process and visitor experience. If you have an account with the Unicorn and would like to make any changes to your contact information, or how you’d like to hear from us, you can amend your account at any time by logging in here. Or you can contact us at:
How long we keep your data
10. Via CCTV footage when you visit our venue
We use CCTV recording equipment in and around our premises for monitoring and security purposes in line with CCTV guidelines.
If you are a member or supporter, or you're attending an event, workshop, taking part in a workshop or booking a birthday party, we may require additional information such as:
- Emergency contact name, phone number and address
- Photo permission
- Access needs
- Dietary needs
- Details of any prior experience relates to the event, project or workshop
- Equal opportunities forms
- Job title
- Contact address
- Name of institution
- Location of institution
- Type of institution
- Publicly available information about you
We keep a record of your relationship with us
We also keep a record of your interactions with us in our database, such as what shows you have purchased tickets to, when you have had an active membership, any projects you may have participated in or supported and whether you have received, opened or clicked through any emails we may have sent. This helps us to improve our services to you.
Keep a record of your interactions with our website
We also may collect an automatically populated IP address when you use our website or email service. This public IP address is a unique number which allows a computer, group of computers or other internet connected device to browse the internet. The log file records the time and date of your visit, the pages that were requested, the referring website (if provided) and your internet browser version. This information is collected to help diagnose and manage the website, to audit the geographical make-up of users, and to establish how they have arrived at the website.
We collect personal information in order to:
Carry out our business and to provide a service or carry out a contract with you:
- To fulfil ticket, merchandise, donation and membership requests
- To process payments
- Contact you with important information relating to your booking or purchase
- To invite you to events or workshops as per your membership or sponsorship benefits
- Provide the best possible customer service such as: confirming your order, reminding you of an upcoming booking, or letting you know about any show or venue changes that affect your visit
- Send you updates via email about what’s on, ticket or membership offers, and news about our organisation
- Email you about our fundraising activities and ways that you can support us
- Share your details with other arts organisations we have made work with (these organisations should contact you to let you know how they collected your data and to check that you’re happy to hear from them. You will always be able to opt out of their communications by contacting them directly)
- Use CCTV recording equipment in and around our premises for monitoring and security purposes
- Detect and reduce fraud and credit risk
- Learn about your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information that is relevant to you
- Help us target our marketing and development communications and adverts so that they’re more relevant to you
- Send relevant invitations to events, press night or other fundraising opportunities via post or phone if we believe this would be of interest
- Use your pseudonymised details to show you advertising on such Social Media platforms as Facebook and Instagram or via other third party advertising that may appear on other websites you use (the information shared with these platforms is pseudonymised to protect your personal data)
- Classify our audience into groups or segments, using booking and publicly available information (these segments help us to understand our audience better and ensure we’re sending relevant messages to each group
- Measure and understand how our audiences respond to a variety of marketing activity so we can ensure our activity is well targeted, relevant and effective
- Analyse and continually improve the services we offer including our artistic output, our website and our other products
- Ensure we are maximising our ticket sales wherever possible
- Enable us to fundraise effectively because we are a charity
Our aim is to always to ensure our communications to our supporters are personal, relevant and timely, and designed to provide the most rewarding engagement with our work.
The Unicorn Theatre will never share, sell, rent or trade your personal information to any third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
We will ask for your consent to share personal information with organisations we have co-produced work with that you may have seen in our theatre or in collaboration with us at another venue. These requests will be specific to the individual organisation and the show you are booking for so that your consent decision is informed. We make sure anyone who provides a service for the Unicorn enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security.
We share name and address information with suppliers fulfilling mailings for the Unicorn Theatre. We ensure that we work only with suppliers who comply with data protection practices and standards.
We use a number of data processors in order to help us provide the services you request. These organisations are obligated to act on our instruction in relation to their use of your personal data and do not have any control over your data in their own right. We make sure anyone who provides a service for the Unicorn Theatre enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security. They will not use your data for anything other than the clearly defined purpose relating to the service that they are providing.
- Name on card, credit card number, billing address, CVV amount of transaction and order number with our payment provider in order to process credit card transactions
- Name on bank account, bank account number, sort code, amount of direct debit, frequency and customer number with our payment handler in order to process direct debit transactions
- Sort code and account number with our merchant in order to complete modulus and know your customer checks
- Name and email address with Dotmailer in order to produce e-marketing campaigns, pre- & post-show emails
- Service providers who aggregate data in order for us to do benchmark reporting across the industry, specifically The Audience Agency for the purposes of the Audience Finder initiative (for more information on the data they collect, please refer to the following links on their website: https://www.theaudienceagency.org/insight/data-collection-in-audience-finder and https://www.theaudienceagency.org/insight/data-control-in-audience-finder
- Spektrix (our Box Office provider) and Purple Seven in order to benchmark our organisation against other subsidised and commercial venues. This allows us to gain a further understanding of our audience’s behaviour and gives us insight into potential new audiences. Data is anonymised and only built for statistical purposes
- List of major donors to funding bodies (we always respect anonymity where requested)
- Named third party organisations if you ticked the relevant opt-in box when you purchased tickets. In these instances, we may supply your personal information to that specific organisation only. We will only supply full name and email address in these data shares and only with your consent
- Other organisations such as competition organisers if you choose to take part in such activities that need administration by third parties and you choose to opt in for contact from those organisations
- We will only supply full name and email address in these data shares and only with your consent
- Third party advertisers (such as Facebook or Google) to help us identify customers similar to our audience or to serve adverts they deem relevant to you on third party websites. The information shared with these advertisers is pseudonymised to protect your personal data.
- Our ticketing system provider Spektrix who provide support should our ticketing system require maintenance
- Where required to do so (for example, if required to do so by the ‘know your donor’ principles under charity law or a court order), or when requested by the police or a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities
Data Protection information by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)